Total Pageviews

Friday, January 28, 2011

Starting out Part VIII b

  And we are back. I apologize for the delay, however I did experience some technical difficulties. I needed to take apart my computer and clean all manner of dirt including several dust bunnies.

Last post I ended rather abruptly as I really needed to get some sleep and was expecting a big rainstorm for the evening. I am one of maybe three people in the world that loses internet connectivity when it rains. Any way, if you have read last post you will have seen this:
Paint like you have the above.
I posted this picture in the hopes of inspiring you not to be too timid in painting and gaming. And hopefully in other aspects of your life. Incidentally I suspect that the staff at PP would not mind it one bit if some of you are inspired to get a pair in order to paint. hehehe. Ok I am terrible with verbal humor. Moving on.

So now you are looking at a fully assembled Destroyer and Juggernaut all base coated and waiting for a touch of metal. Lets do that. just a heads up, the pictures here were taken during the painting party that I hosted.
Some times it's better to paint with other people around.
I suppose I ought to show you the table.
The ceramic cups actually contain coffee. One of those useless bits of information at no extra charge.
I had brought back a bound of Paupa New Guinea and I was asked to prepare a pot for my friends. It's
always important to have some thing to eat and drink at a painting party or during a painting session.
Fried Potato product is always popular.
  Now that we have established the whereabouts of food and coffee lets move on to some painting. It would be easy for me to move on to the application of metallic paint, however there is a little prep work that I need to do first. Seems like that is most of what I do. The whole painting takes a few hours for all three models in real time without taking pictures and writing about it. Ces't la vie. My French needs an little work. Moving on.
Here I clean up one of the leg pistons with Coal Black. I am also hoping to get a Cola black too.( though that color does not exist.)

Most of the areas that I need to touch up are the metal parts like the pistons, some joints and screws.











I tend to turn the model over and over to get a good look as to what parts need to be . I also add an initial shadow coat of thinned down Coal black, about three parts water to one part paint ratio. This creates the best visually appealing shadow effect even though it doesn't actually look like a real shadow. A result of an experiment I did three years ago when I first got a pot of Coal Black. Fret not, we will be playing with shadows much much later.


The first thing I did was to thin down some Pig Iron to a one to one ratio of water to paint. I wanted to get a good flow and coverage without the paint drying to soon. One of the oddest properties of metallic paints is that they dry a little faster than regular paints.
Next I picked up the Juggernaut and began to paint his axe.
















I did the same for the Destroyer's axe.



Here is a better view of Pig Iron with a Coal Black undercoat.










Now that the axes are covered I move on to the hands.The first thing that I do is paint the muzzle of the Bombard arm on the Destroyer, since I already have it in my hand. Mind you at this point I thin down more Pig Iron at a one to one ratio.


I then move on to the hand.





I even took the time to paint the elbow cap as well. In the preceding pictures you can see that I had to turn the model over several times as I wanted to get the base metal coat All over the visible areas of the hand. I also painted the bombard's magazine as well as the front reinforcement band.
 Don't worry if you track some paint on the black areas. We can always paint over with black. Thamar Black.
Then I mix up some more Pig Iron and grab the Juggernaut..
Here is a brief pause and what the two look like:
Next, We add a little something to the rest of the axes, I paint the handles and the spikes opposite of the blades with Pig Iron. This is probably the Pig Iron entry, but there is a lot to do and I don't want to skip anything. Well not here.

 I am desperately fighting the urge to end this post and split off the rest in another post. I shall however persevere. How are those comments coming along? Any thoughts? Questions?

So now that the hands are done I decide to add paint to the rest of the axe. And what paint do i choose? Pig Iron. This is making want to eat pork....
And to finish off the Destroyer too.
While I am at it, I will paint the second band on the bombard too.
Ok. So by now I am a little bored of Pig Iron. I am sure you are too. so lets change things a little bit and open that pot of Brass Balls. This is a bright and shiny metallic paint which I use to highlight bronze at times, but on its own it does have a nice yellowish shine. With that in mind I open up the paint pot and shake it up..
And then proceed to mix it 2 parts water to 1 part paint. Then I apply it to the par to f the axe that has the holes in it. On both sides mind you.

And since the paint is not dry yet I paint the spikes on the arms and the face plate.

While I set this down for Cat to take pictures. I take the Destroyer and begin to put brass on the trim of his axe.

 And while I am at it. I will brass up the boiler. In ages past, before the invention low cost steel, brass was used for all manner of steam technology. Brass doesn't rust as rapidly when exposed to water and is stronger. So in honor of the Steampunk genre the boiler is made of brass as are some of the pipe fittings ( to be painted later). I also decided that the smoke stacks will need to be made of brass as well. this helps break up the color pattern and looks nice and shiny. I like shiny, not too much, but I like it. And while I am at it I paint up the shoulder spikes in brass as well. This ties it in with the spikes on the Juggernaut.
 If this looks a bit too dark. it is because I had mixed one part Brass Balls (sounds naughty) with two parts water. Once again I did this because metallic paint dries a little faster than regular paint. I am not sure why though. Then again that is my experience.
Here is another shot of the Juggernaut.

Well that is it for this post. I will take a short break and compose the next section. We took a lot of pictures that still need editing. Though not as many as we would have liked. I think that we need a dedicated photographer. And those require bribes and stuff, like loot and exp and the like. Well I hope that I have provided some insight into painting today or night. I will continue with the metal paints in the next post and if it doesn't take too long I will get to the highlights and some light shading.
In the meantime..
Here is one more picture from the painting party. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment