Total Pageviews

Friday, January 7, 2011

Starting out. part VII

Hello, and welcome back to A brush, a paint and a mini. We have a relatively short post for you today. I would make it longer, but it would mean that I will have to stay up until way past my bed time. despite my unusual sleeping schedule to begin with. Actually I ran into a problem shortly after part VI and it dawned on me that perhaps I should cover that issue with a blog post as it also affects you. It's a problem that all hobbyists encounter, and today i will talk about it, but first.....
Enjoy this picture of a frosted windshield. I hope that it comes in handy when it comes to painting frosted windshields.
   So, by now you are wondering what it is that made me take on a different tack today and not move on to the next phase of painting like adding metallics, assembling the Destroyer or even adding the shadows and highlights? Well it has to do with the brushes themselves. During the process of painting they got, well, dirty. Even with constant rinsing they ended up with paint building up between and on the bristles. This build up of dried paint will ruin the performance of your brush and take away from your ability to control the painting more carefully. So today I will show you how to clean your brush. 
What you will need is hot water, from the tap.
Hand soap, preferably a moisturizing hand soap. The moisturizers help to recondition the brush.
And your dirty brushes.
These brushes are dirty and blurry.
The first thing to do is get the brush bristles nice and wet. A lot like when you are washing your hands or hair.
This will help with lathering the soap and will allow the soap to do its soapy work.

Get the brushes wet.
As you are getting the brushes nice and wet, or shortly there after, moisten the soap and work it into a lather.
lather up the soap.
Then apply the lather to the brush like so. Like in that blurry shot below. I swear it looked a lot better when I was doing this.
Your hand is your best tool.
You will need to work on the bristles with your fingers to get the dried paint off of them. Scrub it, and scrub it well.
Afterward it's time for a rinse. See, it wasn't hard at all. Ad it was all done with things that you already had at home.
And that draws our post to a close.

Next I will cover the fun bits, adding the preliminary coat of metal. and if I have time and space I will assemble the Destroyer thus getting ready for highlights and shadows on both models.

Please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment